This recipe was a first and definitely not a last! First and foremost, this is not gluten free, BUT it can easily be made gluten free by using a different type of protein. I recommend Beyond Meat brand for a gluten free alternative if you want to use a chickun flavor. Otherwise you can literally use any type of vegetable or protein and grill ’em and they’ll taste awesome!
I used a dried textured vegetable protein which was about 4 dollars for a big bag at an asian vegetarian store in the San Gabriel Valley. For anyone in Southern California, I bought the dry textured vegetable protein at Bodhi Vegetarian Supply in Rosemead. This type of protein requires you to soak it in water for a bit before dealing with it. My boyfriend told me to soak them in boiled water and they will soak much faster. He was right! If you choose this method, be sure to watch it before it shreds apart.
Vegan Chickun Satay Skewers
- 1/3 bag of chickun dried textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp agave (or preferred sweetener)
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed/minced
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp basil
- juice from 1 lemon
- Pour water half way in a saucepan and place on the stove with high heat. Once the water starts boiling, toss in the dried TVP and stir in for about 2 minutes. Bring the boil to low heat and let the TVP start to soften while occasionally stirring. Take the saucepan off the stove and leave the TVP in.
- Meanwhile, take the rest of the ingredients and mix them all together in a bowl.
- Once the TVP is soft, run them under cold water. Then, squeeze out all the water using your hands and mix them in with the marinade.
- Stick in the fridge and marinate for 2+ hours(I marinated one bath for 2 hours and another batch overnight, the longer the better).
- Once ready to cook, grill the TVP before skewing them (cooks better). If you don’t have an outside grill or grill pan, a pan with olive oil on medium heat is fine. Cook until brown. NOTE: Do not squeeze the marinade out of the TVP.
- Serve on skewers. Add some basil if you’d like! Enjoy!